You know how some days you just want something warm and comforting? I had one of those days the other day but didn’t want to throw myself off plan.
It had been a particularly stressful day with the kids and I just wanted something that would comfort me but also give me some energy as well. I love soup and had chicken already defrosted. So then it hit me, I’ll just make chicken noodle soup, but make it THM friendly.
The result was super satisfying, despite it being an E meal and I didn’t feel the least bit guilty about going in for seconds. 🙂 The flavor tasted like it had been simmering on the stove all day long, but in reality, it took me only about 45 minutes from start to finish.
I like to cook whole chickens in my Instant Pot from time to time. They are so much cheaper than buying just boneless skinless chicken breasts and chicken thighs separately. I then make bone broth from the bones. For this soup (or any E meal) just make sure you use the breast meat.
On to making the soup…
In a Dutch oven or large stockpot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onion and saute until the onions become translucent. This should take about 8 minutes or so. I like to sprinkle salt and pepper occasionally as the vegetables cook.
Once the vegetables are cooked add the cooked chicken, stock and water to the pot. Add the seasonings and noodles (or brown rice) and bring to a rolling boil.
Reduce the heat to low and allow the soup to simmer until the noodles are cooked or brown rice is warmed up about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup (THM: E, low-fat)
Yield 4-6 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-size pieces and cooked in 1 t. oil and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 large stalks of celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 c. Fat-free chicken stock or broth
- 2 c. water
- 1-2 t. salt
- black pepper, to taste
- bay leaf
- 3 oz. noodles (I used Dreamfields) OR 1 c. cooked brown rice
- 2 T. dried parsley or 1 T. fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or large stockpot sauté celery, carrots, and onion in 1 t. oil until the onions become translucent.
- Add the cooked chicken, stock and water to the pot. Add the seasonings and noodles and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer until the noodles are cooked or brown rice is warmed up about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.