If you’ve hung around my blog for any length of time you know that I LOVE Mexican food. It doesn’t really matter what type of Mexican food, I just love it all. I made Spanish rice for years and years with white rice and always felt like it was a great addition to tacos, burritos or whatever.
But when I started eating the Trim Healthy Mama way, I for whatever reason felt like my Spanish rice had to go because it was made with white rice. That was a sad day….
I just couldn’t part with it, so I slowly started tweaking my old Spanish Rice recipe. The result is delicious and fills that void for my old rice.
I always keep all the ingredients for Spanish rice in my pantry at all times. If I need a quick meal or side dish I know I can pull it together without much thought. If you’re wondering how I keep my pantry stocked well, give this article a read.
It’s a very inexpensive side dish and is always a crowd pleaser whenever I bring it to a get-together. My favorite way to eat Brown Spanish Rice is in a chicken taco salad.
I cook the chicken breast and add taco seasoning. Then I layer it with lettuce, rice, a few black or pinto beans and some on-plan salsa or pico de gallo. Very refreshing and filling!
My kids love to make what they call Tex Mex bowls. They do a scoop of this Brown Spanish Rice, a scoop of refried beans, lettuce and salsa.
I love when they ask for this for dinner because it is such a filling and inexpensive meal to feed them. My kids also love this same combo in a tortilla shell.
You can have up to 3/4 c. cooked brown rice in an E meal. Sometimes I’ll only eat about 1/3 c. of the rice and have some black or refried beans with it.
If you are at the stage where you can have an S Helper meal, you can have 1/4 c. of brown rice and eat it with ground beef taco meat. So many ways to enjoy it!
(This is an S Helper version of a burrito bowl. I used 1/4 c. of the Spanish Rice in the bottom of the bowl.)
This recipe is SO easy to make! It requires very little hands-on time which I love. Really less than 5 minutes of actual work. 🙂
First, heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and rice. Cook, stirring frequently until the onions are translucent.
Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt to the post and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer until rice is done (about 40-45 minutes). I check on it and stir it periodically just to make sure it isn’t sticking to the bottom or anything. Serve and top with sliced green onions if desired.
Brown Spanish Rice (THM: E, low-fat)
Yield 4-6 side dish servings
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. brown rice, uncooked
- 1 small red OR white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 c. water
- 10.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilies ~ mild, original or hot (i.e. Rotel)
- 2 T. chili powder ***This makes a medium-hot level of spice; if you want a mild level of spice use 2 t. of chili powder.
- 1 t. salt
- green onions, optional for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer until rice is done (about 40-45 minutes).
- Top with sliced green onions if desired.