Brown Spanish Rice (THM: E, low-fat)
Yield 4-6 side dish servings
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. brown rice, uncooked
- 1 small red OR white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 c. water ***Reduce water to 1 1/4 c. if cooking in the Instant Pot***
- 10.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilies ~ mild, original or hot (i.e. Rotel)
- 2 T. chili powder ***This makes a medium-hot level of spice; if you want a mild level of spice use 2 t. of chili powder.
- 1 t. salt
- green onions, optional for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer until rice is done (about 40-45 minutes).
- Top with sliced green onions if desired.
Instant Pot Directions:
Push the Saute button and add the oil to the pot. Let the oil heat up for a minute or two. Add the onion and rice and saute for 5 minutes.
Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt to the pot. Put the lid on the pot.
Push the Cancel button and push the pressure gauge handle to the back so the pot is able to be pressurized.
Push the Manual button and select 16 minutes. Once the cooking time is over let the pot depressurize for 10 minutes and then manually release the steam. Serve and top with sliced green onions if desired.
Recipe by Darcie's Dish at https://www.darciesdish.com/brown-spanish-rice/