We absolutely love to grill and now that it’s getting warmer we’ll be doing a whole lot more of it. For years I bought prepackaged marinade from the store but since starting Trim Healthy Mama the marinades I used to buy are no longer on plan.
So my answer is to always try to make a homemade version. I have tweaked and re-tweaked this recipe. It is as the title states – simply delicious. Even though I try to come up with homemade alternatives to store-bought items, I still try to keep them to as few ingredients and as simple to make as possible. I don’t need to create a ton more work for myself.
Some marinades can overpower the meat, but this marinade really adds a great bit of flavor and really enhances the meat’s natural flavor. We have used this on chicken and steak and it was great on both. I would imagine that it would work well on fish too, but I have not tried it yet.
This marinade can be used in any fuel setting and on any type of meat that you choose. For example, we had an E meal with grilled chicken breast, quinoa, and steamed broccoli. We used the marinade in an S setting by having a delicious steak with roasted asparagus and broccoli with a pat of butter. Both tasted fantastic!
One quick word on marinating meat. If you are for any reason going to marinate two different types of meat, please make sure you put them in two separate containers with marinade in each one. It is really easy to cross contaminate and I do not want you getting sick!
This marinade comes together in no time flat. First, combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup except for the meat. Make sure it is mixed really well.
Place meat in a container that has a lid and is deep enough to contain it and the marinade. Pour the marinade over top of the meat and flip it over once to ensure both sides are covered with the marinade. Remember that if you are using two different types of meat it is imperative that they are in two separate containers.
Let the meat marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight, flipping it once during the marinating process. You can marinate it for up to 24 hours.
Grill it up and let meat rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board or plate before serving. Serve with your favorite on plan side dishes.
Simply Delicious Marinade (THM: FP, low-carb, low-fat, sugar-free)
- 1/2 c. beef broth or stock
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 1/2 t. ground ginger (if you like a stronger ginger flavor use 3/4 t.)
- 3/4 t. THM sweet blend or 1 1/4 t. Truvia (If you are non-THM you can use 1 T. of sugar or honey as a sweetener)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 t. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs. steak or chicken, if you want to use a combination of the meats just make sure you marinate them in separate containers to avoid cross-contamination
- Combine all the ingredients, minus the meat in a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup.
- Place meat in a container that has a lid and is deep enough to contain it and the marinade. Pour marinade over top of the meat and flip it over once to ensure both sides are covered with the marinade.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight, flipping it once during the marinating process.
- Grill it up and let meat rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board or plate before serving.