I really love using my slow cooker, so I’m not sure why I don’t use it more often. It’s so convenient and I only have to clean up one pot. That makes me very happy!
I’m finding as my kids get older our evenings are getting busier and busier. I still desire to give my family a home cooked meal as much as possible, so I’m trying to utilize my slow cooker more and more.
This recipe couldn’t be more easy to make. The only real “work” you have to do is to brown the ground beef and chop the vegetables. If you own an Instant Pot you can do everything all in the same pan. So incredibly easy!
It’s also very easy on the budget too since one of the main ingredients is cabbage. Pretty much year round now you can find cabbage for under $1/pound. It usually is more around $0.60-0.70/pound. I love this especially around St. Patrick’s day when they have cabbage on sale for $0.39/pound.
If you want to really cut down on your prep time use a package of pre-shredded coleslaw. Then all you have to do is literally dump it in the pot. It can’t get much more simple than that!
This dish is great served with a side salad or some green beans and butter.
For those of you that follow Trim Healthy Mama, this meal is an S meal.
There are only a few simple steps required to make this dish. Start by heating oil over medium heat in a medium pan or in your Instant Pot insert.
Once the oil is heated add the ground beef and cook until the ground beef is no longer pink. Drain the fat off.
In a 6 qt. slow cooker or Instant Pot, place half of the cabbage, onions, green pepper, ground beef, seasonings and tomato sauce.
Layer the ingredients again and add the 1/2 can tomato sauce can of water.
Put the lid on and cook on high for 4 hours or 6-7 hours on low. Check the seasonings before serving and adjust as needed.
Serve and top with green onions if desired. Eat with a small side salad or green beans and butter.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef and Cabbage (THM: S, low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free)
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1 T. coconut oil or olive oil
- 1# ground beef
- 1 medium head of green cabbage, thinly sliced (to save time, you could use a bag of coleslaw)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 T. Italian Seasoning
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 tomato sauce can of water
- green onions, optional for topping
- In a medium pan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the ground beef, cook until done.
- In a 6 qt. slow cooker, place half of the cabbage, onions, green pepper, beef, seasonings and tomato sauce.
- Repeat step 2 and add the 1/2 can tomato sauce can of water. Put on the lid and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Serve and top with green onions if desired. Eat with a small side salad or green beans and butter.