Jalapeno Chicken Bacon Chowder (THM: Heavy S, low-carb)
Yield 4-5 servings
- 1 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. chicken breasts or thighs, diced into bite size pieces
- salt & pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 5 small jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed and diced ***Wash your hands thoroughly after working the jalapenos and DO NOT touch your eyes for at least a few hours.
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. cumin
- pinch of cayenne OR red pepper flakes
- 10.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilies, i.e. Rotel (mild or original)
- 2 c. chicken broth or stock
- 8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 8 oz. turkey bacon or regular bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- green onions, optional for topping
- Cut chicken breasts or thighs, into small bite-size pieces. Season with salt & pepper. Heat 1 1/2 t. of olive oil over medium heat in a soup pot. Add the chicken to the pot and cook until no longer pink in the center. While the chicken is cooking prepare your vegetables. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pot and set aside on a plate.
- Heat the other 1 1/2 t. of olive oil over medium heat in the soup pot. Add the onion, carrot, celery, jalapenos, and garlic to the pot. Cook until the onions are tender and translucent. Put the cooked chicken back into the pot and add the spices. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes with chilies and the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for 25 minutes uncovered.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir until the cream cheese has completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in half of the bacon.
- Serve immediately and garnish with green onions and the remaining bacon.
Recipe by Darcie's Dish at https://www.darciesdish.com/jalapeno-chicken-bacon-chowder/