Hearty Two Bean and Lentil Chili (THM: E, low-fat, sugar-free, gluten-free)
Yield 10 servings
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T. + 1 t. of chili seasoning
- 4 c. of FF chicken stock
- 4 c. of hot water
- 1/2# dry green or brown lentils, rinsed well
- (1) 15 oz. can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- (1) 15 oz. can of Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- (2) 14 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 1/2-2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 0% Plain Greek Yogurt, mozzarella cheese or green onions, optional toppings for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper and sauté until the onion is translucent about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and chili seasoning and cook for 1 minute more, stirring the whole minute.
- Add the chicken stock, water, lentils, beans, tomatoes, salt, and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Once the chili is boiling, turn it down to medium-low and simmer uncovered 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Turn off the heat.
- With an immersion blender on low in the chili blend for 20 seconds. If you do not own an immersion blender, remove 3 c. of the chili and put in a blender or food processor and process on low for 20 seconds. Pour the 3 c. of chili back into the pot and stir to combine. Top with a dollop of 0% Plain Greek Yogurt or a small pinch of mozzarella cheese right before serving.
Recipe by Darcie's Dish at https://www.darciesdish.com/hearty-two-bean-and-lentil-chili/